Monday, October 30, 2006

Unwinding in Tortuguero Park

This time, my friend and I did not awaken early by our own excitement. Howler Monkeys decided most of the hotel needed a wake up call. I still think it is an experience I am thrilled to have had.


We spent much of the day riding in boats through the canals while viewing the alarm clock inspired howler monkeys, iguanas, and a variety of birds. The boats took us to Cano Palma’s wildlife reserve. We ended up at the Green Sea Turtle research station where we got to learn about the turtles. I saw the tiniest little babies who had just hatched. They were so cute! Then we got to walk down the beach to see the turtles in their natural environment. I will never forget this part!


This part of the excursion ended with a stop at a local school where we got to see the kids in action. Pretty neat! We returned to our hotel for lunch and then had free time. My friend and I opted to take the additional boat trip to Tortuguero Park , so that we could see more of the area’s wildlife. We all got to see a manatee close up, so that was a once in a lifetime experience.

No comments: